Friday, December 18, 2015

Papanonno Alfonso

                                                 
Alfonso De Rosa
1846 - 1934
A Grandfather Remembers

I remember him         
In that big black chair                     
The long walk across the parlor        
Mom holding my hand.

'Too dark, papanonno'
Admonishing lightheartedly
She’d raise the shades 
Letting in the sun and the park scene

The big park, we’d go there later.
Pleasantly engaging him
She’d move me closer
"Here’s Sonny, papanonno"

Reaching out
Wrinkled face smiling
'Allo toe-nee'
Toothless broken English

‘Ah’, a candy for his great-grandson
The child touching his thin white hair
Completing the exchange.
Conversation without words.

I remember those visits
Seeing him in that big black chair.
The last time
He was all dressed up.

Everyone was there
Lots of chairs. No big black chair.
But I remember him
Even now, smiling in that big black chair.

I wonder if he knows I think of him.


-        Ephraim Richard Fortunato
1   16 December 2015                           

1 comment:

  1. In answer to family inquiries, Alfonso DeRosa was my maternal grandfather, Alfredo DeRosa's father and therefore my great grandfather.

    ReplyDelete